Credential of License or Ordination
Filing Credentials of License or Ordination
For an ordained person (both Minnesota residents and non-residents) to be authorized to perform marriage ceremonies in Minnesota, the person must be at least 21 years old and must file their "credentials of license or ordination" with a Minnesota county Once this is done marriages may be performed anywhere in the State of Minnesota.
Bring the following items
- Provide a copy of your credential of license or ordination
- Proof of Identification
- Pay the $20.00 filing fee - Cash, Check or Money Order payable to the "Wright County Recorder" Credit Cards are now accepted - 2.35% of total amount convenience fee on all credit card transactions with a minimum fee of $1.75
- Complete a Certificate of Filing form
Submit the items listed below to
Wright County Recorder
10 - 2nd Street NW, RM#210
Buffalo, MN 55313
- Your completed certificate of filing form with your signature notarized
- A copy of your license, ordination, or marriage credentials; or a statement of marriage authority from a spiritual authority (copy will be kept in our office).
- Check or money order payable to the "Wright County Recorder"
- Priority Processing: $10.00
- Postage/Handling Charge: $1.00 OR Priority Mail - based on current USPS rates $6.95 - $12.20 depending on zone
Questions? Please contact our office at 763-682-7355.
Information for Marriage OfficiantA marriage license that was issued by Wright County is given to the applicants at the time they complete the application process. They will receive two pieces of paper that include the marriage license and the marriage certificate. They will also receive and envelope that can be used to send the completed certificate back to our office. The marriage license shall be kept by the officiant as proof of your authority to solemnize the marriage. The marriage certificate needs to be completed by the officiant. Failure to complete the marriage certificate properly will result in a delay of the issuance of the certified marriage.
If you have any questions about performing a marriage within the borders of Minnesota please contact our office at 763-682-7355.
Recorder's Office fees now available for payment by credit card via Web:
A new multi-use website has been placed into production by the Recorder’s Office. This website allows for credit/debit card payment (fee=2.35% of total, $1.75 minimum) or electronic check payment ($1.75 flat fee) for escrow payments and fees for requests for credentials, marriage records, birth certificates, death certificates and any other fees. Please contact the Recorder's Office for reference number before making payments online for credentials.
The link to the website can be found on the Online Payments page of the public website.