Motor Vehicle


The Wright County License Bureau processes titles, transfers and registration of all motor vehicles, including motorcycles, mopeds, trailers and mobile homes.

The Department of Motor Vehicles suggests that buyers and sellers come into the office together.  This will ensure a smooth title transfer.  There are many variables to transferring a title.  These variables determine what the fees for the transaction will be. 

When transferring a title, bring in the title with a notarized lien release (if there is a lien holder showing on the title) and the odometer reading. If there are two sellers listed on the title, make sure both parties have signed off.

A new service the state is now offering is "Fast Track".  This is an expedited title procedure.  With this service the state will process your title immediately and you should have your new title in approximately one week.  This service can be done in our office between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM.  The fee for expediting your title is an additional $20.00.

If you need to renew your tabs and you did not receive your prebill, come in with your plate number and we will be able to process the transaction for you. If you are picking up tabs for someone else, you must have a written statement signed by them giving you the right to purchase their tabs. Please bring in your drivers license for identification.

You must be the registered owner of the vehicle to request duplicate plates, duplicate stickers or a duplicate title.  If you have lost a plate please bring in the remaining plate and we can get you a new set of plates.  There is a small fee for duplicates.

Duplicate titles can be requested online in our office in most situations.  You will have the duplicate title in 5 to 7 working days.

Registration tax renewal bills will have a "technology fee" of $1.00 added.

Special Plates:

We accept application for several types of  "Special Plates".  Some of the options currently available are: Amateur Radio, Citizen's Band Radio, Classic, Collector, College Plates, Critical Habitat, Disability, Firefighter, Personalized, Sesquicentennial, Support our Troups and various Veteran Plates. 

The new Gold Star Family license plate honors a service member who died while serving honorably in active service.  The person applying for the plate must be the spouse or parent of the deceased service member.  The applicant must provide the name and a copy of the Military Form DD1300, "Report of Casualty" or DD2064, "Certificate of Death".  There is no fee for the plate itself.  However, registration fees, wheelage tax and surcharges are due (if necessary).

 Phone: 763-682-7597 / 763-684-4541 

If you have any other questions the Internet address for the Department of Public Safety is