Social Services Homepage


Adult Foster Care Licensing
Adult Services
After Hours On Call
Child Care Licensing
Child Foster Care Licensing
Child Protection




Developmental Disabilities (DD)
Fees for Services
Intake/Resource/Family Intervention
Mental Health
Parent Support Outreach Program
Senior Transportation
Truancy Diversion Services


After Hours On Call

The After Hours On Call social workers provide coverage for Wright County Human Services on weekdays between 4:30 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. and 24-hours on weekends and holidays.  The responsibilities of the After Hours On Call team include taking vulnerable adult and child maltreatment reports, assisting law enforcement with shelter placements, and responding to calls in person at the request of law enforcement.  The After Hours On Call team consists of Human Services social workers who specialize in a variety of areas including child protection, mental health services, elder care services, adoption, adult foster care, developmental disabilities, and adult protection.

If you have an emergency social services concern outside of normal office hours, call 763-682-7400, and your call will be dispatched to the After Hours On Call social worker through the assistance of the Wright County Sheriff's Department.

back to top

Intake/Resource/Family Intervention:  FAQ

 This is the entry point for all Social Services intake with the exception of child maltreatment reports. 

Services include: 

Click here to get the free Reader from Adobe's website.

back to top

Child Protection:  FAQ

Wright County has the responsibility and authority to assure that children alleged to be abused or neglected are protected from harm or danger and that children in need of protection or services receive the appropriate services. 

Services are initiated when a child protection report is made by either a mandatory or voluntary reporter.  Reports are initially screened to see if there is an allegation of abuse or neglect that meets criteria as defined by MN Statute 626.556. 

Reporting Abuse or Neglect

If the child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1 or your local police department.

Anybody can make a voluntary report of suspected child abuse or neglect if that person has reason to believe that a child has been mistreated.  Others are mandated to report by statute.  The requirements for reporting are outlined in MN Statute 626.556

If you are unsure if you should make a report, call the intake line at 763-682-7449.  Child protection staff are available and can help you decide if a report should be made based on the information you provide.  The identity of the reporter is always kept confidential.

Mandatory Reporting

A mandated reporter must call immediately, but no later than 24 hours after they suspect that maltreatment has occurred.  The mandated reporter must follow up with a written report within 72 hours.  A report can be made to your local county social services agency or to law enforcement. 

If making a report during normal business hours, please call 763-682-7449, or you may complete the reporting form below in its entirety and e-mail it to or fax to 763-682-7701.

If you need to make a report after hours, please call 763-682-7400 to be routed to the Wright County Sheriff's Department dispatch who will get you in touch with the after hours social worker.

Mandated Reporting Form - Adobe PDF (printable) icon_pdf2.jpg
Mandated Reporting Form - Word 2007 (fill-in/printable) icon_word2.jpg  

back to top

Parent Support Outreach Program

The Parent Support Outreach Program (PSOP) is a grant funded program (for five years) that was designed by the State of Minnesota to serve families within Wright County and several other counties in Minnesota.

The program serves families who have at least one child/children in the home under the age of 10. This is a voluntary, supportive, strength-based, family-driven service to families before the risk of child maltreatment is realized in an abuse or neglect incident.

To identify candidates to refer to this program, we are looking for at least two of the following risk factors to determine whether the family is eligible for our services:  domestic violence; chemical use; poverty; homelessness; unemployment; unemployment and lack of financial resources; behavioral concerns of child; mental health concerns of child or parents/caregiver; and a history of abuse, neglect, or past child maltreatment reports.

PSOP Referral Form
     - Adobe PDF (printable) icon_pdf2.jpg
     - Word 2007 (fill-in/printable) icon_word2.jpg

Contact information for PSOP worker:
Ali Tesmer
Parent Support Outreach Worker
(763) 412-9044

back to top

Adult Services

Social Workers provide services which include:Seniors

  • Vulnerable Adult Investigations and ongoing Adult Protection.
  • Assessment for home care services for senior citizens and disabled adults. Includes the following programs - Alternative Care Program (AC), Elderly Waiver (EW), Community Alternatives for Disabled Individuals (CADI), Community Alternative Care (CAC) and Traumatic Brain Injury Waiver (TBI).
  • Project Lifesaver - Project Lifesaver is a radio technology search and rescue team.  Clients enrolled in the Project Lifesaver Program wear a wristband that emits a tracking signal.  If a person wearing a bracelet is lost, a 911 call is made and a Project Lifesaver search and rescue team responds with mobile tracking systems.  Recovery time averages less than 30 minutes.  Initial cost is $300 with $105 thereafter annually.  County waiver may cover the cost of this program.

For additional information on aging services for our region, visit Central MN Council on Aging.

Minnesota Board on Aging

back to top

Developmental Disabilities (DD):  Links and Resources

What is a Developmental Disability?

According to the Developmental Disability Act, the term ‘developmental disability' means a severe, chronic disability of an individual that:

  • 1. Is a mental or physical impairment or combination of a mental and physical impairment.
  • 2. Begins before the individual reaches age 22.
  • 3. Is likely to continue indefinitely.
  • 4. Results in substantial limitations in three or more of the following areas of major life activity; self-care, understanding and use of language, learning, mobility, self-direction, and capacity of independent living.

When you apply, a Social Worker will assist you to determine, if you or your child(ren) meet the criteria for services.  Social Workers can assist with the individual's need for services, supports, or other assistance that is of lifelong or extended duration and is individually planned and coordinated.

Services provided can include:

    • Case management for individual services
    • DD Waiver Programs for adults and children
    • CADI Waiver case management for adults and children
    • Brain Injury (BI) Waiver case management for adults and children
    • Semi-Independent Living Services (SILS)
    • Respite Care
    • ICF/DD and foster home admissions
    • Sheltered or supported employment
    • Day Training & Habilitation (DT&H)
    • Guardianship Information
    • Consumer Support Grant (CSG)
    • Family Support Grant (FSG)
    • Personal Care Attendant (PCA)

The following information is beneficial for parents with children:

Birth Through Age 17 -- Wright County Early Intervention Services Orientation

Do you have a child with special needs?  Do you need help with medical expenses? Are you frustrated with not knowing what options may be available to you?  This orientation can offer you information on programs that could help support you and your child (birth-17).

Group meetings inform you of the resources available.  Through the orientation, we can help by assessing your immediate, short-term and long term needs, inform you about financial resources, and share information about services and resource options that might be available to your child. 

Sessions and Information:  Please click on the link below to find the schedule of upcoming sessions and additional information.

Click here to find out how you can join us for one of our informational sessions.

Adobe PDF - Early Intervention Services - Birth-17 - Adobe Reader is required to view this version of the slide show.  Click here to download the latest version of the free Adobe Reader.

Parents with children over age 16:  The following resource guide is beneficial to help with services, as your child reaches adulthood.  Guardianship is also discussed in this directory.

Waiver Services for Children and Adults

CDCS - Consumer Directed Community Supports - This is one of the services available under the waiver programs.  Click on the links below for information on using CDCS (Consumer Directed Community Supports). 

    • Adobe PDF - CDCS Learning the Ropes-Adobe Reader is required to view this version of the slide show. Click here to download the latest version of the free Adobe Reader.
    • The Wright County Expenditure Guide is a detailed list ofcommonly approved and commonly denied items and services. This guide should be used by CDCS recipients, when considering items and/or services to put in their CDCS budgets.
    • If an addition or change is to be made to the recipient's CDCS budget, pleasecomplete the Community Support Plan Addition/Change Form and forward the completed form to your Wright County Social Worker.
    • Click here for Fiscal Support Entities rate information.
    • Support Planners help CDCS clients/families create and maintain the CDCS budget and answer questions regarding the budget. Click here for a list of support planners.

All responsible parties/guardians of consumers accessing CDCS are required to attend a CDCS session.

Click here for upcoming scheduled CDCS training session:  CDCS Training

Additional Resources Available

This list is intended to serve as a reference. Wright County does not endorse or promote any specific agency or product.

back to top 

Mental Health (FAQ)

Mental health case management services are available on a voluntary basis. In order to be eligible, the child or adult in need of services completes an application requesting services and must have an assessment completed by a mental health professional within the past 180 days. If you do not have an assessment, our intake unit can assist you in scheduling one.


Children's Wright County Resource Guide
Adult Mental Health Resource Guide

Community Support Program

The Community Support Program assists adults with mental illness residing in Wright County with social, educational, recreational and daily living assistance. Click the link below to see the current events calendar.

April 2014 Events Calendar

Mental Health Advisory Council

The purpose of the Mental Health Advisory Council is to use the knowledge of a broad range of people who use mental health services, provide services or are concerned about public policy to find ways to improve local mental health services. This council focuses on making recommendations for services and identifying gaps and needs in mental health to our local Human Services Advisory Board.

If you would like to apply to be part of the committee, please complete the application below.

Mental Health Advisory Council

Frequently Asked Questions

I have a mental illness and need help.
Call Social Services Intake at 763-682-7481, or 1-800-362-3667, ext. 7481. For more immediate help, call the Crisis Response Team, a 24-hour service, at 1-800-635-8008.

I have a patient on a 72-hour hold in our hospital.
Call Social Services Intake at 763-682-7481, or 1-800-362-3667, ext. 7481.

I have a doctor's statement of need for commitment.
Call Social Services Intake at 763-682-7481, or 1-800-362-3667, ext. 7481.

I have not received my Social Welfare monies.
Call your assigned social worker.

My social worker is out, and I need to talk to someone.
Call the Mental Health office staff at 763-682-7452, or 1-800-362-3667, ext. 7452, to refer your question or concern.

How do I apply for Medical Assistance or TEFRA?
Please call Financial Services Intake at 763-682-7414. Applications are also available at the Wright County Human Services building at 1004 Commercial Drive, Buffalo.

The school wants my child in Day Treatment. What is Day Treatment?
Day Treatment is a program that integrates the educational and therapy needs for your child. Therapies through Day Treatment include individual (child), group (all children in Day Treatment and therapist, and family therapy. The Therapist works closely with school staff to develop a comprehensive plan designed to help your child succeed.  Meetings are held at least every three months to discuss your child's progress and needs. These meetings will include you, your child, school staff, therapist, and the Children's Mental Health Social Worker.

What are the possible resources or services you can provide or help me access?

  • Mentor Programs
  • Support groups
  • In-Home Family Therapy
  • In-Home Family Skills
  • Referral for a psychiatrist (if one is not involved)
  • Respite Care
  • Summer Camp
  • Assistance to obtain financial resources such as the Medical Assistance option of TEFRA
  • Assistance in gaining support from family, friends, neighbors, churches, etc.
  • Coordination with school programs  
  • Crisis resources

We utilize every possible funding stream available, including state and federal programs, to increase resources for you and your child.

Does the County pay for Camp?
Wright County has limited resources available to assist families in paying for camps.  Social Workers will work with families to identify community and family resources first.

I need housing, who do I call?
The four county housing coordinator can be reached at 1-800-830-8254, ext 3326. This person can help you with the Bridges program and other voucher programs if you are eligible.

back to top

Fees for Services

In order to support the variety of services this Agency provides to Wright County residents, the Wright County Board must supplement federal and state funds with local tax dollars.  Fees charged to service recipients by this Agency are primarily used to offset the amount of local taxes required.  The collection of fees is either mandated or permitted by State Statute/Rule or Human Services Board authorization.  Failure to cooperate with any fee process may result in the client being responsible for the full cost of services provided.

Fees charged for children in out-of-home placement follow the previous Child Support Guidelines Fee Schedule under MN Statute 260B.331 and 260C.331.  Families with children who are diagnosed as developmentally disabled (DD) or severely emotionally disturbed (SED), and who are placed out of the home, shall be subject to a fee for services under MN Statute 252.27 using the State Fee Schedule.    Families are charged a fee if their household income is above the Federal Poverty Guideline.

Click on the links below to view the Wright County Human Services policies concerning out-of-home placements and appeal procedures regarding this fee.  Click on the back button to return to this page.

Wright County Fee Policy for Out-of-Home Placements
Wright County Fee Policy for Developmental Disabilities & Children's Mental Health Out-of-Home Placements

back to top