Filing for Office
March Township Elections
Federal Office – Candidates for federal office must file with the Office of the Secretary of State
State and Judicial Office – Candidates for state and judicial office may file with the Office of Secretary of State or with the Wright County Elections Office.
County Office – Candidates file with the County Elections Office
Municipal Office – Candidates file with their municipal clerk
School District Office – Candidates file with the school district clerk
Where to File
Office of the Secretary of State
180 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. MLK Jr. Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155
County Election Office
Wright County GC Suite 1400
3650 Braddock Ave NE
Buffalo, MN 55313
Hours: 8:00 – 4:30 a.m.
May 31 Hours 8:00 – 5:00 p.m.
Who can File
Federal, State, Judicial candidates
State, Judicial, County, SWCD candidates
Basic eligibility requirements for all candidates are as follows:
- Must be eligible to vote in Minnesota
- Must not have filed for another office at the upcoming primary or general election
- Must be 21 years or age or older upon assuming office
- Must have maintained residence in their district for at least 30 days prior to the general election
- Depending on what office you file for their may be additional requirements. Visit this page for information on additional requirements.
Your affidavit should include your name in exactly the way you would like it presented on the ballot, including spelling and capitalization.
Affidavits must be signed in the presence of a notary or an individual authorized to administer oaths.
With your affidavit you will also need to pay your filing fee or submit a petition in place of your filing fee.
Filing Fee Schedule
- United States Senator: $400
- United States Representative: $300
- Governor, Lt Governor, Attorney General, State Auditor and Secretary of State: $300
- State Senator or Representative: $100
- Judicial Office: $300
- County Office: $50
- Soil & Water District Supervisor: $20
If filing for a federal or state partisan office as an independent or minor political party you must submit a nominating petition. Please visit the OSS site for more information.
Candidates may withdraw from participation in the election by filing an affidavit of withdrawal with the filing officer. The deadline for candidate withdrawal is June 2nd at 5:00 p.m.
Late Filing Period
Candidates filing for municipal or school district offices without a primary may file during the late filing period. The late filing period lasts from Aug 2 – Aug 16. Candidates for municipal office must file with their city clerk. Candidates for school district offices should file with their school district clerk.
Campaign Filing Packet
The Secretary of States office candidate resource page has all the forms and information needed to file for office and to administer your campaign.
Notice of Offices to be filled